Thursday, June 16, 2016

how to get into the summer spirit




The weather this week has been the actual worst. It's supposed to be summer. I guess that's expected seeing as I live in the UK. I realised that my school holidays start in a month and I'm not even excited, since it doesn't feel like summer. That made me sad. So, without further ado, here's a few ways to get into the summer spirit! 







 Make a summer playlist

Be sure to include all your favourite summer songs, you know, the ones that make you want to live in California and go on a road trip with your friends. If you don't have any for this year, just look at the charts, OR they don't even have to be from 2016- make a playlist of songs that remind you of previous summers. If you're out of inspiration, there's plenty of playlists available for you on spotify, apple music or even youtube 


Watch summer movies

High School Musical 2 is a must. If this doesn't get your heart beating, I'm not sure what will. Other movies include Grease, Dirty Dancing, Starstruck, The Parent Trap, Wet Hot American Summer, The Notebook, The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, Camp Rock, Aquamarine, 50 First Dates, The Last Song, etc... 


Food and Drinks 

If you want to get creative, check out these healthy vegan 'nice cream' recipes, and these healthy ice lollies. There's honestly SO many ideas on pinterest for healthy summer recipes. Also, this blog has so many delicious and healthy recipes. What's summer without lemonade? I can't wait to try out these recipes. Fruits like watermelon and strawberries always get me in the summer spirit. 


Clean out your wardrobe

Replace your old wardrobe with your summer clothes. I actually did this today, and it got me so excited for the hot weather, planning what I can wear when the sun actually comes out. It's actually such a nice feeling when you realise how much your style has changed since last summer. You'll probably find a couple of dresses and cringe, "Who let me wear this?" So, that brings us to our next point... 


Buy new summer clothes 

Go wild, unless you're poor like me. You obviously don't need to buy a whole new wardrobe, buy things that go with your old clothes and new style. ALSO buy a new bikini or swimming costume. 


Get all of your school work done

I never used to do this, I left everything last minute and panicked the last weekend of summer. But this is a great way to ensure a stress-free summer! 


Make a summer reading list

I'm not good with recommendations since I've only recently started reading again, but if I do find any noteworthy books, I'll be sure to share them with you. 


Make a summer bucket list 

I used to do these when I was a pre-teen, and they always got me so hyped for the summer even though I couldn't really do any of them since I was eleven and couldn't do anything outside my neighbourhood. If I make one this year, I'll share it with you guys too. 


Make plans for the summer 

Holidays, festivals, parties, roadtrips... This will ensure that you have a reason to look forward to summer. 


Go outside and enjoy the sun

If, like me, you live in a place where it always rains, you probably get really happy when it’s actually hot outside. Just go outside and really feel the sun and take notice of the warmth on your skin and how it makes you feel. You don’t even need to sunbathe, a refreshing walk will be just as beneficial. Be sure to put on plenty of sunscreen and soak up that vitamin D! 


Write about what you hope to achieve by the end of the summer

Confidence? A new hobby or skill? Love? Friendship? You can later look back at this and see how productive you actually were during the summer. 

Important: Summer is honestly one of my favourite times of the year, but spending too much time in the sun is dangerous. Stock up on sunscreen, after-sun lotion and sun glasses. Make sure that you reapply your sunscreen throughout your day- once really isn't enough. It's also essential to stay hydrated so drink plenty of water too. 

Real talk: many young and insecure women will probably fall targets of body-shaming this year, like they do every summer. You'll probably see magazines such as 'Closer', judging 'bikini bodies' of celebrities. There will probably be a lot of articles on 'how to lose weight fast' (fyi those diets NEVER work) This is a little ironic coming from me, but try to reject those messages and love and nurture your own body because you are beautiful.


HAVE THE BEST SUMMER EVER!


Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment